Friday 31 January 2014

Digital Literacy & Me



This was my first experience recording a podcast. I’ve never created this type of content for the Web before and it was a really interesting experience. I must have re-recorded my podcast at least a dozen times because I’d always make some mistake near the end, and because I’m new the audio editing, I wasn’t sure that I would be able to fix any missteps. I used the memo recorder on my iPhone and Audacity audio editor to add the music in the background. This was first time using Audacity, and I was surprised how easy it was to use, though I need to keep practicing because it was hard to get the background music volume levels just right.

This experience really taught me how easy it is to create something like a podcast with essentially free software –the recorder on my phone, free audio editors, and to post directly on to Audioboo. I didn’t realize how accessible participating in this type of activity really is for most people. Creating a podcast is not something I would have really considered in the past, because I would have assumed you needed special audio equipment or a special hosting site. This assignment really showed me that truly anyone, with very little skill or equipment, can indeed participate in podcasting – and my digital literacy has increased a little bit more!

The music I use on my podcast is from a great Fredericton band called Sleep Driver (with the band’s permission) http://sleepydriver.ca/

http://digitalliteracy.cornell.edu/








6 comments:

  1. Thank you for your comments Natasha. I like your podcast and your voice is so calmed and relaxing. Good job!
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job on the podcast Natasha! I think a lot of people don't realize that there is a lot of free software/programs available that they can use to participate in this digital era. One program that I have used several times is called Camtasia Studio (trial version)... it can do a little bit of everything - check it out http://www.techsmith.com/camtasia.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan - I've used Camtasia at work a few years ago - but it didn't even occur to me to try it for something like this podcast....I'm going to look into it!

      Delete
  3. Hi Natasha,
    I really enjoyed your podcast and your description of how you use the various social media tools. The music is great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice narrative Natasha, it was easy to visualize your digital media journey.

    ReplyDelete