Tuesday 28 January 2014

Digital Literacy & Me

You can find the link to my podcast here!



I must say that I genuinely enjoyed the process of creating my podcast. I was forced to think critically about how I have made online communities part of my life since 2004. It was a lot of fun to “share my social media story” in this format because I really don’t have a lot of experience recounting my social media use up until now, nor have I created a podcast before. The hardest part of the whole assignment was narrowing down my story to the core three minutes. (I could have easily talked for half an hour!)

Furthermore, after some audio testing, I decided to use the Voice Memos app on my iPhone to do the recordings. I found that this was much clearer that recording through my computer. After I recorded the audio, I brought it into GarageBand and tinkered around with splitting the tracks, adding sound and getting a feel for producing a podcast. It’s amazing how simple it is to create and publish high-quality audio recordings for the world to hear! 

Finally, this assignment not only made me think critically about my social media presence in the past, but also what my focus would be in the future. I had to stop and think about where I really want to take my online presence. I believe that working to position myself as a thought-leader on LinkedIn, through sharing relevant and timely content, is a good use of my time and resources. This will not only mean keeping my content up-to-date, but also interacting with my connections. The use of Facebook for my personal network will continue to be reserved for keeping in touch with friends in far-away places. Overall, I found this assignment to help me think introspectively about my digital literacy, as well as allow me to become acquainted with a new audio sharing platform.

1 comment:

  1. Great narrative! I wonder if you wrote a script or just said it? Your story is so smooth!

    This semester I've also reconsidered where I want to focus my social media presence. For the time being I will use Twitter and my blog to share resources and hopefully establish myself as a thought-leader in digital communications.

    ReplyDelete